Education Program from 2 to 18+ years
"At CASP we believe that all people with different abilities can learn if taught with the correct individualized procedures."
Who is it aimed at?
The program is aimed at people with different abilities (autism, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy or developmental delay) from 2 years of age to 18 years and onwards.
What does it include?
- The program teaches skills from the different areas of the Functional-Natural Curriculum, commensurate with their age, during natural everyday situations.
- The choice of skills and behaviors to teach each student is based on the results of a Functional Assessment. The priorities of each student are set out in the Individual Educational Plan with family approval.
- Students participate in group sessions with 8 to 10 students in classrooms organized according to chronological age.
- Students can access our literacy program. Those who have little or no verbal language are taught to communicate through the Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS).
- Families participate in all the activities of the Family Training Program.
- Families keep in touch with specialists through the daily use of the "diary", whose comments and suggestions are sent to parents twice week.
- In addition to participating in physical education and sports, all of our students participate in the Extracurricular Activities Program, which includes Ballet, Theatre, Therapeutic horseback riding, English Classes, Computer Classes and Day Trips.
What kinds of skills are taught?
Here are some examples of skills that are taught, according to the age and priorities of each student:
Ages 2 to 5 yearsPivotal behaviors (attention, follow simple instructions, imitation); verbal and nonverbal communication; self-care (wear simple clothing and feeding with spoon or fork, acceptance of different types of food, cleanliness of hands, face, continence); social and recreational activities (greeting, thanking, sharing); simple academic skills (discrimination and identification of images & numbers).
Ages 6 to 13 yearsInstruction sequences are increased & there is more structured communication; increased academic skills (beginner writing, reading, math); self-management includes wearing clothing that include more complex actions such as buttoning, using fasteners, pins, use of knife and fork to eat, bathing; simple domestic skills; mobilizing in familiar environments, crossing streets; self-protection and security.
Ages 14 to 18+ yearsMore complex skills in the areas of self-care, academics, science, domestic skills; mobilization and vocational activities are prioritized: personal presentation, introduction to work in places of training, mobilizing around the community, taking on more responsibilities at home including plant care, pets; self-protection and safety behaviors; use of home artifacts; cleaning skills; use of public transportation.
Why is the program unique?
- Education from 2 to 18+ is the flagship CASP program, started in 1979.
- Most of the students who participate in the program move on to our School Inclusion Program or Supported Employment Program.
- The program has a specialized physical therapist.
For more information please contact us by e-mail or phone.